0

Stories That Interest Me

Hi Good People,

Two posts in one day, I know that you can't believe it. I'm working on doing better.

Item #1
I am a Glamour magazine reader. I am happy to report that Michelle Obama is going to be on the cover of the December issue. The profile is the debut of award-winning journalist Katie Couric. In her sit-down with Couric, Mrs. Obama answers questions from Glamour readers and shares her advice for women on everything from the importance of finding mentors in their own lives to dating. Here are some highlights that peaked my interest:

On finding career mentors: "I was blessed throughout my entire career. I had people rooting for me. It started with my parents, but it extended to almost every teacher that I had. When I was a young lawyer, there were other women and men in the firm who took me under their wing. Look for those mentors, because sometimes mentors don't find you -- sometimes you seek them out. Oftentimes, they're flattered and glad to lend a hand."

On how she keeps her sanity: "I have always tried to put my kids first, and then...put myself a really close second, as opposed to fifth or seventh. One thing that I've learned from male role models is that they don't hesitate to invest in themselves."

On her dating advice for women: "Cute's good. But cute only lasts for so long, and then it's, Who are you as a person? Don't look at the bankbook or the title. Look at the heart. Look at the soul.. When you're dating a man, you should always feel good... You shouldn't be in a relationship with somebody who doesn't make you completely happy and make you feel whole."

Item #2
I've been a fan of Robert Townsend since Hollywood Shuffle. He sealed the deal with me with the Five Heartbeats. I don't know if I ever mentioned that I'm interested in television and film. Film Life, Inc. is sponsoring Robert Townsend's "The Ultimate Pitch Master Class" lecture series. The first installment of the master class will be held at TheTimesCenter stage located at 232 West 41 Street in New York City on Saturday, November 21, 2009 from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm. Additional cities to be announced in January 2010. Tickets are available at www.ticketweb.com - prices are $75 (if purchased before November 7) and $125 (starting November 8th). For additional information e-mail info@thefilmlife.com or call 646-375-2144 ext. 1.

You know that I have to post at least one video. These two songs helped me get through a rough period in my life. I was in a relationship that wasn't working out. I needed to get out of my own way and move forward. I would listen to these songs every day until I stopped complaining and started planning.





Making the most of my days,
Kenya Abney

|

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Kenya's Corner All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.