0

Do you recognize opportunities presented to you?

Posted by Unknown on 9:49 AM
Are you fortunate in the opportunities that are presented to you? Do you recognize opportunities? I once read that an opportunity usually comes disguised as hard work. That is one of the truest statements ever spoken.

I know someone that didn’t maximize an opportunity because she was looking at the journey and not the end result. She was in a position to sit in for someone and get valuable face time, or at least phone time, with Executives in her company. She didn’t do it because, at the time, she thought it was a waste of her time. Now fast forward several months, she is looking for a job and one of the persons hiring, is someone that she could have potentially built a relationship with if she had sat in for that person. Actually, that is how I got a promotion. I filled in for someone over an extended period of time through good, bad and even ugly times for me. When someone was looking for an assistant, I came to mind because I was fortunate enough to maximize the opportunity. I had made connections with people that did speak on my behalf. Don’t look at the potholes, dips and detours on the road to your destination; focus on your arrival point.


My sister has been presented with an opportunity to be a stylist for a movie. This is something that she always wanted to do. As far back as I can remember she has been dong hair. She is a licensed beautician. She is into make-up so much that she collects tips. And, she consults with make up artists on how to look her best all the time. She can design and make clothes. She even made a blouse to wear for a junior high school picture. With all that experience, she currently works in human resources for a hospital. How did she get presented with an opportunity to be a stylist? Someone had heard about her. She has a reputation as someone that has the skills to be a stylist. She has demonstrated a willingness to work and learn about a field that she isn’t making money…in yet. This is an opportunity that is bundled up with a whole heap of work. If you ask her she is overjoyed for the chance. She will be doing what she wants and finally getting paid for it. Work hard, work diligently because you never know who is watching and waiting to give you a chance.

How do you recognize an opportunity? Contrary to what people think, it doesn’t knock or ring the doorbell. Opportunities are all around us. Some are good opportunities, others are not right for you at the time but they are hard to pass up. Here are four ways to determine if an opportunity is for you:

1. The end result gets you closer to one of your goals.
Closer to a goal is better than never starting. If you want to be a filmmaker being an intern at a production company is closer than just talking about it. Are you going to be Spike Lee when it is all said and done probably not? But, you will be able to make contacts, expand your reputation and obtain skills that you didn’t have before.

2. You can develop a network of people that you can grow a “give and take” relationship with.
“No man is an island.” “You can do anything; you just can’t do it alone.” I know you have heard those phrases before. They are true. There is always a team of people behind any success. And, with a network, you can learn from others and others can learn from you. It is a good thing to know people you can reach out to. And, even better to know that someone wants to reach out to you.

3. You are able to increase your reputation.
Everyone wants to work with someone that they have heard good things about. It doesn’t hurt to be endorsed by several people. In any area of your life, if you want the spotlight than you have to get on stage and perform. People won’t work with you if they don’t know what you can do.

4. You are able to learn and grow skills that can take you to the next level.
Not every opportunity is going to get you exactly where you want to be. Some opportunities put you in a position to get the piece that you are lacking, or a skill that is necessary that you didn’t know you needed. Think about what you can get out of the experience.


Quotes of the Day
"Opportunity... often it comes in the form of misfortune, or temporary defeat."
-Napoleon Hill

"Opportunities? They are all around us... There is power lying latent everywhere waiting for the observant eye to discover it."
-Orison Swett Marden

Affirmation of the Week
I am prosperity!
My supply is wherever I am.
It comes to me from every direction.
I accept this abundance bounty and opulence today.
I know that it is externalizing itself in my life and affairs.
Wherever I go, I shall meet prosperous people and prosperous conditions.
Whatever I think, I shall think with joy, optimism, happiness, and peace.
Whatever I do, I will do with wisdom, authority, power, and right action.
I separate my thought from any belief in want, in capacity, and in ability.
I disclaim the idea that I am broke, despondent, poor, crushed, defeated, or dependent.
All financial obligations, debts, and pressures are being liquidated.
All unhappy circumstances, conditions, and misunderstandings are being harmonized.
New opportunities and opening to me.
My whole mind, soul, and spirit accept these truths.
I am made rich!

Kenya Abney has been a featured writer on the web. She loves feedback and can be contacted at kenmoab1@verizon.net.

|

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Kenya's Corner All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.