0

Strategies to Discover Your Freedom in the Free Flow of Writing

Posted by Unknown on 11:09 PM
I literally feel pain when I hear people report their resistance to daily writing practice.

I know - it sounds extreme - and it is also true.

I feel pain because I know how much better off I have been since I have started a writing practice - which for me is based on Julia Cameron's suggestion of writing 3 pages of free flow, stream of consciousness writing every day as early in the morning as I can muster.

For you, free flow writing may be 3 minutes a day. It doesn't matter how much you do - if you do so daily, it will make a difference in your life pure and simple.

I have learned that people generally stop their writing practice because instead of using this time to spiral up their energy with their words, they use it to spiral down their energy with their words. I know I wouldn't write for very long if I felt worse after writing than I did than before I started writing.

This is one of the reasons I came up with these simple strategies you may follow in order to always have a writing practice which aims towards your increase - making life better - rather than taking you into a tank of despair.

None of us do despair well. If you intentionally aim with your writing, when times of despair DO set in, you notice it more quickly and may shift from it with relative ease. In other words, you manage your doldrums, they don't run you.

Does this make sense so far? If it does, great – keep reading. If it sounds like some form of strange, unknown language, please take a deep breath and re-read it.

It really is easy. Simply breathe and continue.

1. Write from Your Gratitude List. Or from someone else's if you are stuck. Check out the, I'm So Grateful Blog for inspiration. http://www.imsograteful.com

2. Write from Affirmations: Look at the books of Catherine Ponder or Louise Hay for examples. Even simple ones like "Everyday in everyway things keep getting better and better and better"

3. Write using inspirational quotes as your prompt. There are lots of websites whose single function is to provide quotes to the world. Here are a few to get you started:
http://www.toinspire.com/, http://www.motivateus.com/, http://www.inspirational-quotes.info/

4. Describe in detail the objects around you according to the different senses: how does that object look, feel, smell, taste, sound?

5. Write a letter to your friend, telling him (or her) the many things you enjoy or like about her. If you find your thoughts slowing, choose a different friend.
Bonus: send the letter to your friend, hand-written with an envelope and stamp.. wow!

6. If you recognize you are going down a negative path, insert this simple phrase" "This is what I have been making up - the truth is.."

Writing freely will open you up like you have never been opened before. You will discover yourself in ways you have only dreamed.

Does it sometimes hurt? Heck yeah.

Will you feel better after you write, taking the Chitter chatter out of your head and onto the page? Heck, yeah...

Is it worth it? Heck, yeah!

Today - just try it and tomorrow and the next day, try it again.

======
Julie Jordan Scott faciliates the growth of Creative Souls through Writing, Coaching, and Working in the Theatre Arts. Dare to lead a remarkable, passionate life now through one of her writing teleclasses or ecourses. Visit her website now: http://www.5passions.com/writingprograms.html

|

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Kenya's Corner All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.